[j-nsp] Suppressing SNMP Trap to just one packet

Jeff Haas jhaas at juniper.net
Fri Apr 8 14:44:38 EDT 2016

I was clearing through old inbox stuff and noted this one.  Conveniently there's at least progress here to report:

> On Sep 9, 2015, at 9:40 AM, Alireza Soltanian <soltanian at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are implementing SNMP Trap on Juniper routers. The case is when an event
> occurred, device sends trap for it several times(every one/two minute). Our
> trap receiver is connected to a mailing system which generate email upon
> receiving the trap. This action causes sending a lot of email for just one
> event.
> [...]

> Is there one here who can suggest any soultion for sending just one trap
> after an event. Specially when a BGP neighbor is down.
> We are using variations of M Series router and JunOS versions from version
> 9 to 12....

PR: 1056230
sending of backward state trap notifications except for transitions
from the Established state.  This cuts down on the noise from
too many uninteresting trap notifications.

set protocols bgp snmp-options backward-traps-only-from-established

------

This is in at least 15.1+.  No help for older version at the moment, sorry.

-- Jeff