[j-nsp] Routeserver next hop issue.

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 19:09:12 EDT 2016

1. Do you have an import policy on the BGP session to the route server? (seeing if maybe you're overwriting protocol-next-hop --  or you may have an inherited policy at a higher level than the group/neighbour...dunno)

2. As you mentioned, What does 'show route receive-protocol bgp <neighbour.ip.of.the.session>' say in terms of the next hop it's sending? You said route-server member, but that doesnt make sense if it's a /24 or something "flat" peering exchange, it should return the next hop of the actual peer (and not the route server's IP).. unless the topology of the exchange is different from what I'm expecting.

I think you're likely doing everything right, but if you can send (sanitised) configs for:

ergo:

show configuration protocols bgp
show configuration policy-options
show route receive-protocol bgp <ip.of.bgp.session> extensive

the 'next hop self' export policy should be on iBGP to the rest of your network. No need to next-hop self on an eBGP session, since JunOS does this for you automatically.

- Ck.