[j-nsp] QFX10002 as P Router

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sun Apr 17 13:34:33 EDT 2016

On 17 April 2016 at 20:28, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

>> Nope. But you need Internet in VRF, if you can't put sufficient filter on lo0.
>
> I just wouldn't buy the platform in the first place, but that's just me.

There is upside to that strategy, if you drop from long list all
devices which have a problem, but problem you can workaround with, you
don't have to build a network.

> The last time I considered the Internet in a VRF (late 2000's), the
> platforms then had different scaling properties with routes in a VRF.
> IIRC, the more VRF's the fewer routes per VRF, and vice versa.

That appears to support my argument. You have flat pool of prefixes,
the more VRF you divide it with, the less prefixes per VRF?

> Is it possible to have as many full BGP sessions on a 16GB RAM control
> plane in inet.0/inet6.0 as you would the same in a VRF?

That is my belief, yes. But I've never tested past few thousand BGP
sessions. Usually there isn't any hard limit, it's just config gets
slow to parse, boot time becomes problematic etc.

--
  ++ytti