[j-nsp] MPLS L2VPN Cisco and Juniper

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Mon Apr 18 11:17:10 EDT 2016

I tested VPLS a few months back and I'm pretty sure I have some configs...

WARNING! - I recall something very bad happened in my network during this
testing evolution....when configuring the routing-instance in Junos for the
vpls piece, I discovered that when I set the routing-instance (name)
instance-type to l2vpn (emphasis on * l2vpn *) that I had bad things happen
to about 25 of my me3600's !!  my me3600's running l2vpn address family and
also a certain version of IOS 15.something lost bgp neighboring to my RR's.
BUT once I changed the juniper instance-type to vpls, all was better.

I understand the following terminology....

RFC4761 - VPLS with BGP Auto Discovery and BGP Signaling of full mesh
pw's/lsp's

RFC4762 - VPLS with BGP Auto Discovery and LDP Signaling of full mesh
pw's/lsp's

I'm pretty sure I have Junos config for ACX5048 and MX104

I m pretty sure I have Cisco config for ASR9k 5.1.3 and ME3600 15.4.x

I interoperated ACX, MX, 9K, Me3600, and I think I actually had Cisco ASR903
and ASR920 working with all this too....simultaneously and I recall all
worked together.

Which config would you like me to dig for ?

Aaron