[j-nsp] EX4600 Vs QFX 5100 VS ACX 5048

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Apr 29 17:12:24 EDT 2016

On 29/Apr/16 22:28, Colton Conor wrote:

> Aaron,
>
> Thanks for the information and real world examples. Great to hear you got
> Cisco and Juniper to work together as well. Sounds like you had Cisco in
> your network today, and are adding Juniper. What was the business case or
> reason for this? Is it because Cisco does not have a similar MEF 10G 1U
> box? If they do I am not aware what model it is. Most are recommending an
> ASR920, but that only has like 4 10G interfaces.

As of now, the ASR920 is the only 1U router with "many" ports that Cisco
will sell you at a price-point that gives a lot of IP/MPLS feature
capability, on a Cisco-owned silicon.

I've ranted many times about what I think of the ACX on this list, so I
won't repeat myself.

Suffice it to say, I've been speaking to Cisco about increasing density
for the ASR920, but this won't be easy for various reasons, which I can
appreciate. Considering how far we've come since the MPLS-In-The-Access
became a practical concept for us back in 2009, to be honest, I'm happy
with where we are as a community.

Mark.