[j-nsp] BGP/MPLS Question MX Platform

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Aug 3 06:57:24 EDT 2016

On 2 August 2016 at 23:38, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:
>> I'm not opposed to using RSVP if necessary.  All links are MPLS
>> capable...just trying to find a way to not let BGP use the A-C link
>> for IP transit traffic and only use it for protection of the MPLS
>> traffic.  A-C is a smaller capacity link than the others which is why
>> I don't want to saturate it with IP traffic that can just come from A
>> or C directly.
>
> Good use-case for RSVP-TE.

RSVP-TE is good solution here, if OP wants to put all traffic in RSVP
tunnels. Make sure expensive path is in SPT, but give L2VPN LSPs
reservation priority, so once the link is full, other traffic will be
off SPT and not use that link. Ensuring maximum amount of traffic gets
best possible service.

If OP does not want all traffic in RSVP, rather make SPT where
expensive path isn't used, and just put L2VPN in ERO tunnels using
that link. If this is the goal, then I'd absolutely look into Segment
Routing, unsure if it's yet configurable like this in JunOS, dunno how
far 16.1 is in SR implementation, but worth researching.

--
  ++ytti