[j-nsp] QinQ + STP transport between MX and Catalyst

"Rolf Hanßen" nsp at rhanssen.de
Fri Dec 2 12:00:06 EST 2016

Hello Guys,

has anybody out there QinQ running between a MX and a Cisco Catalyst?
I need some help with such a setup.
We got some MX960 and EX3400 boxes to replace some Cisco 6500.
On the EX3400 I got tagged and untagged frames forwarded but no STP
packets because EX3400 does not support Layer2 Protocol Tunneling yet (box
crashes, Juniper says it's on the todo list to implement that feature).

Then I tried to get it running on the MX but have no experience with the
really confusing bridging stuff on it.
I was able to transport tagged vlans only (but no untagged at the same
time), but I need to forward any mix of tagged and untagged together with
(M)STP (means I have no clue what the customer uses and contract says we
forward everything).

Cisco Config for the customer facing ports:
interface Gi1/1
 switchport
 switchport access vlan 2001
 switchport mode dot1q-tunnel
 mtu 9216
 l2protocol-tunnel cdp
 l2protocol-tunnel stp
 l2protocol-tunnel vtp

Link to other boxes:
interface TenGigabitEthernet9/1
 switchport
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 2001
 switchport mode trunk
 mtu 9216

Really easy and works great.

I tried to adapt the config of the EX3400 to the MX (does not work at all):
Internal Interface (ae1):
flexible-vlan-tagging;
mtu 9216;
encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
aggregated-ether-options {
    lacp {
        active;
    }
}
unit 2001 {
    encapsulation vlan-bridge;
    vlan-id 2001;
}

customer facing interface (ge-7/0/0)
flexible-vlan-tagging;
native-vlan-id 1;
mtu 9216;
encapsulation extended-vlan-bridge;
unit 2001 {
    vlan-id-list 1-4094;
    input-vlan-map push;
    output-vlan-map pop;
}

show bridge-domains
vlan2001 {
    interface ae1.2001;
    interface ge-7/0/0.2001;
}

Found this with google, but this forwards tagged frames only:
ae1:
flexible-vlan-tagging;
mtu 9216;
encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
aggregated-ether-options {
    lacp {
        active;
    }
}
unit 2001 {
    encapsulation vlan-bridge;
    vlan-tags outer 2001 inner-range 1-4094;
}

ge-7/0/0:
flexible-vlan-tagging;
native-vlan-id 1; <- found no way to set it in the unit 2001, has no
effect as far a I see
mtu 9216;
encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
unit 2001 {
    encapsulation vlan-bridge;
    vlan-id-range 1-4094;
}

show bridge-domains
vlan2001 {
    vlan-id all;
    interface ae1.2001;
    interface ge-7/0/0.2001;
}

"set protocols layer2-control mac-rewrite interface ge-7/0/0 protocol stp"
also does not work (which seams logically as long as untagged frames do
not pass)
So what am I doing wrong?
Has anybody a working configuration for such a setup?

kind regards
Rolf