[j-nsp] Juniper PTX1000

Hannes Viertel hviertel at bastelbude.net
Sat Dec 17 12:18:12 EST 2016

I believe your milage will vary greatly with the Arista kind of boxes… and to be honest ( today ) its not an apple to apple comparison… both from hw and sw feature perspective

not sure what others on the list experienced but i have failed to see the claimed 1,2m FIB routes really or on the RIB side of things propose you try to load up 4-5m Routes on EOS.

the PTX1k with the routing license can run both easily…  i could give another couple of examples where both Juniper and Cisco charge you a premium but in return you get a grown-up OS with a relative complete feature list… ( and yes sure you hit PR’s here and there.., but i believe we all agree there is no bug free sw in the market )

but again, if the black art of flex route magic works for you and you don’t plan to  have  more than 2m-3m RIB routes while doing no sophisticated mpls scenarios like PCE initiated RSVP-TE i think it can be feasible. If you want to run it as a peering router on a large IXP with traffic engineering in your core * i  * would place a ptx1k there.

just my 2 cents

/hannes