[j-nsp] understanding interface encapsulation, family ... and more

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Thu Feb 4 22:04:40 EST 2016

Hi all,

I'm a cisco guy coming into the juniper world.  I'm trying to understand all
these different interface family and encapsulation options.. And the
difference seen between my ACX5048 and my MX104.

I'm having trouble comparing this to something I've done in the cisco world.
Does anyone have a website link or anything that would help me understand
the different uses and scenarios why I would use these ? (junos4ios book has
a little bit but not much info).  Or perhaps you can explain it to me.

I run an MPLS network of Cisco ASR9000's, ME3600's and ASR901's and am
embarking on acquiring several ACX5048.  I do lots of MPLS L3VPN's and MEF
ELINE, ELAN and ETREE services, via manual l2vpn pw's and bgp auto vpls
elan's.. also do single and dual tag operations of pushing and popping

.so I really need to know what options (encaps and families) I will probably
be using for the things I mentioned above.

Is there a good book/class for this SP Layer 2 understanding of Junos ?  Is
the class JSPX (Juniper Service Provider Switching) good for things like
this ?

ACX5048

gvtc at eng-lab-acx5048-1# set interfaces ge-0/0/0 encapsulation ?

Possible completions:

  ethernet-bridge      Ethernet layer-2 bridging

  ethernet-ccc         Ethernet cross-connect

  ethernet-vpls        Ethernet virtual private LAN service

  flexible-ethernet-services  Allows per-unit Ethernet encapsulation
configuration

  vlan-vpls            VLAN virtual private LAN service

gvtc at eng-lab-acx5048-1# set interfaces ge-0/0/0 unit 0 family ?

Possible completions:

> ccc                  Circuit cross-connect parameters

> ethernet-switching   Ethernet switching parameters

> inet                 IPv4 parameters

> inet6                IPv6 protocol parameters

> iso                  OSI ISO protocol parameters

> mpls                 MPLS protocol parameters

> vpls                 Virtual private LAN service parameters

MX104

gvtc at eng-lab-mx104-1# set interfaces ge-1/3/2 encapsulation ?

Possible completions:

  ethernet-bridge      Ethernet layer-2 bridging

  ethernet-ccc         Ethernet cross-connect

  ethernet-tcc         Ethernet translational cross-connect

  ethernet-vpls        Ethernet virtual private LAN service

  extended-vlan-bridge  VLAN layer-2 bridging

  extended-vlan-ccc    Nonstandard TPID tagging for a cross-connect

  extended-vlan-tcc    802.1q tagging for a translational cross-connect

  extended-vlan-vpls   Extended VLAN virtual private LAN service

  flexible-ethernet-services  Allows per-unit Ethernet encapsulation
configuration

  vlan-ccc             802.1q tagging for a cross-connect

  vlan-vci-ccc         CCC for VLAN Q-in-Q and ATM VPI/VCI interworking

  vlan-vpls            VLAN virtual private LAN service

[edit]

gvtc at eng-lab-mx104-1# set interfaces ge-1/3/2 unit 0 family ?

Possible completions:

> bridge               Layer-2 bridging parameters

> ccc                  Circuit cross-connect parameters

> inet                 IPv4 parameters

> inet6                IPv6 protocol parameters

> iso                  OSI ISO protocol parameters

> mpls                 MPLS protocol parameters

> pppoe                PPP over Ethernet underlying interface-specific
options

> tcc                  Translational cross-connect parameters

> vpls                 Virtual private LAN service parameters

[edit]

Thanks,

Aaron