[j-nsp] QFX mc-lag and v6 ND (Phil Mayers)

William McLendon wimclend at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 09:49:17 EST 2016

In this case I think they may have over-engineered the process, or there are cases of concern i’m not aware of as to why they did it this way.  I have not ever configured Cisco vPC, and I understand it is fairly complicated too, but Juniper’s MC-LAG config requirements seem way too complicated.

If you are using MC-LAG where the MC-LAG peers are running any routing protocol over that VLAN, or L2-only with IRB interface for management, then VRRP must be configured for proper ARP synchronization — one would think that it would just forward the ARP packet over the ICL between the peers, but that is not what happens.  We got bit by this twice, once running OSPF over an MC-LAG (MC-LAG also carried some L2-VLANs…don’t ask), and again when we had MC-LAG pair of EX9200 connected to MC-LAG pair of QFX5100s — QFX5100s were L2 only so only had IRB for management, and we could not reach one of the members consistently.  Workaround was to clear arp, which seemed to cause them to re-sync / relearn, but once ARP timer timed out on one of the QFX’s, it would never re-learn ARP for the VRRP gateway address until ARP was cleared again.  once we configured VRRP everything worked correctly.  Not the end of the world, but annoying to be sure.

Since Juniper’s IPv6 documentation and config examples for MC-LAG are basically non-existant, its still unclear to me as to official support, but the config I posted previously where you define a VRRPv6 with static NDP entries for both the link local and global unicast addresses of the peer’s addresses seemed to work well in the bit of testing I was able to do in our lab — basically mimicking all of the IPv4 requirements.  I think the QFX version was 14.1X53-D27, or something similar in that 14.1X53 family.

Thanks,

Will