[j-nsp] Slow performance of the KRT queue

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Sat Feb 6 10:57:26 EST 2016

> Of Raphael Mazelier
> Sent: Friday, February 05, 2016 9:30 PM
>
> Le 05/02/2016 19:32, Saku Ytti a écrit :
>
> > I think the fundamental problem here is that these fixes are
> > attempting to make the symptoms less pronounced, rather than address
> > the problem.
>
> Yep. But it is better than nothing.
>

> > I view the problem as desync of software and hardware state, we can
> > advertise BGP route and attract traffic, even though we have not
> > actually programmed that state to hardware.
> > There should be inherent guarantee that what we claim is true in HW. I
> > can accept that it takes time, that's separate problem.
> >
> Sure. Convergence could be slow, no problem if it do not create blackhole.
> (then a backup default route is ok)
>
> > I'm sure JNPR has the talent needed to fix this, but it might be more
> > scary fix with wider impact on the infrastructure than management is
> > ready to sign off.
> >

> Agreed. But I was confident in the fact than Juniper will make significant re
> engenering of the junos core.
> Or equip all its routers with fast x86 cpu :p

All vendors struggled with this but there is a universal fix for this since 2010 or so, it's called PIC (there's no problem that could not be solved with yet another level of indirection right?).
Juniper calls the feature specifically related to OP's case as "provider edge link protection"
It makes your FIB to converge well under 1ms (doesn't matter if there are 500K or 10M prefixes that needs to converge).

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.