[j-nsp] A conceptual advice on QoS is needed

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Wed Feb 17 08:38:50 EST 2016

Adam Vitkovsky wrote:

> > > Victor,
> > >
> > > If your network carries traffic of higher priority that is interleaved with
> > > traffic of lower priority then the below questions are relevant:
> > >
> > > 1) Can it happen on Juniper switches that BW on input > BW on output
> > > (e.g. traffic incoming on multiple ports will be transmitted out one
> > > port)?
> >
> > Very unlikely.
> You mentioned that the Juniper switches are going to be connected to
> the transport network via 1GE interface(s) Is the sum of inputs(edge
> links) less than 1Gbps(core link) please?

Yes, it is expected to be less than 1Gbit/s, but more than 150 Mbit/s
the core can handle.

> > > 2) Can it happen on NEC transport switches that BW on input > BW on
> > > output?
> >
> > Most likely.
> >

> > > If yes then you need QOS (classification and scheduling)
> >
> > The question is, where I need QoS: before the traffic enters the transport
> > switches or inside them.
> >
> If contention is most likely to happen on NEC transport switches
> then you need QOS on NEC transport switches.

It is possible to prevent congestion in the NEC transport switches by
doing shaping/policing in the Juniper switches. But should I be doing
this, that's the point of my question.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru