[j-nsp] Optimizing the FIB on MX

Dave Bell me at geordish.org
Thu Feb 18 08:42:18 EST 2016

I've not used the MX104, but the MX80 is incredibly slow to commit
changes, and from discussion on this mailing list slow to converge
also. As has been mentioned though, this can be got around by using
things like BGP PIC, and LFA to maintain a valid forwarding path while
the control plane sorts itself out though.

What I would be interested to know though is do these technologies use
additional FIB slots? IE by enabling BGP PIC, are you effectively
cutting your FIB capacity in half, from 1 million routes to 0.5
million?

Regards,
Dave