[j-nsp] Optimizing the FIB on MX

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Feb 18 09:12:59 EST 2016

On 18 February 2016 at 15:31, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:
> So is the MX-104 processor really that underpowered? I have heard reports
> that is was too underpowered for its pricepoint, and now I am starting to
> believe it. Vincent what are your thoughts?

Define underpowered?

MX80 has 8572, also sported by platforms such as sup7, sup2t, nexus7k,
me3600x, sfm3-12 at alu
RSP720, EX8200 RE have even slower spec cpu 8548

MX104 has faster cpu than any of these, P5021. Yet RSP720 runs circles
around MX104 in terms of BGP performance.

I'd say it is underpowered for JunOS (All PPC's are, but is that HW or
SW issue, that's debatable), but it really can't be considered
particularly slow cpu in this market generally, especially during its
launch year.

--
  ++ytti