[j-nsp] vMX for ESXi

Robert Hass robhass at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 07:03:22 EST 2016

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> Cisco have been at this longer than Juniper, so you have to appreciate
> that it will take some time to get a decent product from Juniper.
>
> Otherwise, you'll pull all your hair out.

We're using CSR 1000V (1G AX licenses) for some routing (even BGP)
plus a lot of VPNs (IKEv2, DM-VPN). Performance is not superb in terms
pure packet forwarding (I cannot beat 600-800Mbps), but in terms of
encryption/VPNs is very similar to ASR1000 - easly did 500-600Mbps of
IPSEC. I can pretty recommend CSR for any crypto/VPN tasks.
Very nice piece for NFV software.

I had opportunity to test XRv9K 5.4.0 for more "SP" task - BGP
plus fast forwarding. On 1 CPU core (HT disabled) we did 5-6Gbps
which was totally impossible with CSR 1000V.

But returning to vMX - we have a lot of use-cases for vMX, so Cisco
products are not cure for us :) Still waiting for *WORKING* vMX
do VMware.

Cheers,
Rob