[j-nsp] SRX cluster across L2 vlan issue

Youssef Bengelloun-Zahr youssef at 720.fr
Wed Jan 13 11:25:56 EST 2016

Dear James,

We have a pretty similar setup with an SRX5600 cluster in two distinct DCs
seperated by dark fibers (18 and 28 kms) that we light ourselves.

Control and fabric link are directly connected and transported via PtP MPLS
services on our core backbone. It's been working great so far.

When we consulted Juniper about this, they told us to worry about the
following :

     - Distance shouldn't be over 100 kms,

     - Latency shouldn't be higher than 1-2 ms,

     - Change the ethertype of the ports connecting HA links in order to be
transparant to any VLANs transported between cluster members.

HTH.

Y.

> Hi experts,
>

> a customer of mine has implemented an SRX cluster HE(1400) over a L2 (vlan)
> infrastructure and is having sometime problems on the dual FAB links, which
> trigger basically a split brain.
>

> The cluster is geographically stretched and in one site the customer has
> Cisco Nexus 5k and on the other has Extreme switches.
>

> I’m not having a lot of info by the customer, I can only see that they have
> configured PVSTP on Cisco side and no STP protocol on Extreme side.
>

> Has anyone experienced problems in these kind of scenario ?
>

> I’m aware of the Juniper prerequisites stated here:
>

> http://kb.juniper.net/library/CUSTOMERSERVICE/GLOBAL_JTAC/NT21/LAHAAppNotev4.pdf
>

> I’m looking for real experience and comments, what to check, any help, etc.
>

> Cheers,
>
> James

Youssef BENGELLOUN-ZAHR