[j-nsp] MX960 with 3 RE's?

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 13:05:09 EST 2016

Thanks for the overwhelming wealth of information.

So sounds like the ideal, supported setup would be a MX960 with 3 SBC, 2
RE-S-2000-4096, and redundant power supplies. For a recommended option, we
would have a third RE-S-2000-4096 as a spare (well really we should have a
spare for everything), and install this spare in the 3 SBC slot to just
hold the spare (it would not be powered or do anything, just be there for a
swap if one of the 2 installed RE's failed instead of sitting on a shelf
somewhere).

Are there any feature limitations I should be aware of using a MX960 with
the above configuration and older I beleive EOL'd DPC-R-4XGE-XFP
linecards?  For comparison's sake, I am upgrading from a MX80 using the 4
10G ports on the front of the MX80.

The RE-S-2000-4096 is more powerful than the RE built into the MX80 (and
MX104), and of course the MX960 has more redundancy. Just wondering on the
software and feature-set side if I am loosing anything assuming they are
running on same JUNOS version. Any gotchas to be concerned about using
RE-S-2000-4096, regular SBCs, and DPC-R-4XGE-XFPs line-cards? We are
pushing less than 80Gbps, so I the back plane capacity is of little concern.