[j-nsp] MX960 with 3 RE's?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Jan 14 00:45:47 EST 2016

On 14/Jan/16 02:07, Colton Conor wrote:

> Well it would be RE-S-2000-4096 running the JTAC Recommended Junos
> Software Version Junos 13.3R8 plus the standard (not enhanced SCBs).
>
> I know more memory and 64 bit is usually better, but how does this
> help in Junos? From past threads, we have concluded that Junos is
> currently single thread/core in most all situations, and
> the RE-S-2000-4096 is faster than the RE in a MX80 and MX104. What
> does the more cores and quadruple memory get you in
> the RE-S-1800X4-16G that you can not do on a RE-S-2000-4096?
>
> The use case for this box would be full BGP tables and routing with 4+
> providers on 10G ports, plus a couple of ports to a peering exchange.

As others running the RE-S-2000 have confirmed, you can run a recent
Junos release on that RE today, which is great.

The 64-bit RE gives you more memory to hold more routes, but if you only
need 4x full BGP feeds today, the RE-S-2000 should be fine. Naturally,
the newer RE will provide longer-term support for later Junos releases
(especially with the architectural differences between Junos 15 and
anything else before it). But in your case, the RE-S-2000 should be just
fine.

> I am wondering what features the DPC's lack in this situation.

    - Lots of QoS limitations on the DPC compared to Trio.
    - Multicast restrictions on the DPC vs. the Trio.
    - No support for inline jflow on the DPC.
    - Differences in Tunnel PIC support on the DPC vs. the Trio (Trio is
more flexible).
    - There may also be differences in Carrier Ethernet capabilities.

I think you can get away with the RE-S-2000, but if you can, stay away
from the DPC, just for peace of mind.

Mark.