[j-nsp] MX960 with 3 RE's?

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Thu Jan 14 21:29:42 EST 2016

I didn't know there's even worse performance than the binary multicast replication (glad they did not do the head-end replication)

> So if your box is full of 16X10GE, multicast stream hops from NPU to NPU, so
> every NPU gets the stream replicated at different time (i know stock
> exchanges running MX and masturbating over nanoseconds in switching
> latency, while they are doing three orders of magnitude larger jitters in MX
> replication).
> While if box is full of MPC1/MPC2, each card or NPU, will send copy to two
> other NPU, for dramatically more efficient replication. (Of course the
> theoretically correct way is to replicate in fabric, but I'm not paying one cent
> for the right solution for this feature which should be just checkbox item at
> best)

Well certainly not if you're doing IPTV on a fully loaded box where you just overload the Fabric or stock exchange where you are obligated to deliver the info to everyone at the same time or HFT where nanoseconds actually do matter.

> This also means that if you run multicast, trio needs 80Gbps of fabric capacity
> for those 40Gbps of WAN capacity. DPCE/ichip has this, DPCE is 40Gbps, but
> has 80Gbps of fabric capacity.
> SCBE and MPC2 has this, 80Gbps of WAN capacity and 160Gbps of fabric
> capacity.
> While 16XGE needs just same fabric capacity as WAN capacity.

What to say, there's a reason why Juniper is cheaper. One has to know if it fits his/her implementation (which is hard btw with the sparse documentation at hand).

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.