[j-nsp] MX960 Power Options

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Jan 26 13:08:06 EST 2016

No, sorry I was unclear.  You *probably* only need two 30Amp circuits
from the datacenter.  What I was trying to say is that you need to
split each datacenter circuit into 4 outlets via a PDU.  So split the
"A" datacenter feed into 4 outlets and the "B" datacenter feed into 4
outlets.

The dual-input PEMs have a switch that lets you select whether 2 input
feeds are expected or not.  You COULD flip that switch to single-input
and then you would only need 2 "A" feed outlets and 2 "B" feed
outlets.  Of course if you do that, then power capacity is reduced.
But you said you will have "limited cards installed" so maybe that
would be okay.  See here for how the zones work and how to calculate
your power requirements:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/calculating-power-requirements-mx960.html

Divide the required input power in Watts by 208V, and then divide that
by the Power Factor to get an approximate circuit total in Amps.  The
exact Power Factor depends on the efficiency and design of the power
supplies, but it is generally safe to assume a value of 0.8.  You can
also input these values here to have it calculate it for you
automatically:

http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Watt_to_Amp_Calculator.htm

With the example on the Juniper doc of 3335W, that comes out to about
20 amps.