[j-nsp] BGP route filtering capabilities for inet-vpn (1/128) address family

Adam Chappell adam.chappell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 10:09:54 EST 2016

Does anyone have useful experience regarding the use of JUNOS routing
policy to control the propagation of BGP routes where the address family
isn't the usual family inet?

I'm looking at the typical RFC4364 chapter 10b option for VPN labelled
traffic exchange between EBGP peers and realising that my 14.1 MX platform
doesn't seem to apply policy to this address family in the same way at all.

adamc at Virtual2> show bgp neighbor 192.0.2.1
Peer: 192.0.2.1+179 AS 2    Local: 192.0.2.2+59927 AS 1
Type: External    State: Established    Flags: <Sync>
Last State: OpenConfirm   Last Event: RecvKeepAlive
Last Error: None
Export: [ NO-ROUTES ]
  Address families configured: inet-unicast inet-vpn-unicast
[...]

adamc at Virtual2> show policy NO-ROUTES
Policy NO-ROUTES:
   Term unnamed:
       then reject

adamc at Virtual2> show route advertising-protocol bgp 192.0.2.1

bgp.l3vpn.0: 6 destinations, 8 routes (6 active, 0 holddown, 0 hidden)
  Prefix   Nexthop       MED     Lclpref    AS path
  2:100:10.100.0.0/16
*                         Self                                    I
  2:100:10.100.0.2/32
*                         Self                                    I
  2:200:10.200.0.0/16
*                         Self                                    I
  2:200:10.200.0.2/32
*                         Self                                    I

[...]
Any pointers appreciated.

-- Adam.