[j-nsp] MX104 capabilities question

Gavin Henry ghenry at suretec.co.uk
Wed Jul 6 21:21:41 EDT 2016

On 22 Jun 2016 13:51, "Saku Ytti" <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:

> > yeah if there's any fundamental about it, it's that it carry less
> > legacy, is more general purpose, and has less hardware, wierd corner
> > cases and unreasonable customer demands to support. It has it share of
> > bugs, missing features and hardware specific limitations and quirks.
>
> This comment was specifically about how they write the software. I
> don't believe market has enough skilled labour to write any
> significant SLOC on C. I think use of C puts any company in
> disadvantage due to the cost of introducing bugs.

That last sentence is quite a sweeping statement about C.

> Arista, as I understand it, does not use C, but code is predominantly
> C++, and even for that, good portions of the C++ code are generated
> from higher level internal language.

There are massive Linux Kernel Hackers of course, which of course uses C.

> Combine these, and I think it makes Arista fundamentally more able to
> produce better software.

You can make great software in any language. I think this argument is
false.

--
Kind Regards,
Gavin Henry.

Winner of the Best Business ITSP (Medium Enterprise) 2016!
http://www.surevoip.co.uk/2016-best-provider