[j-nsp] Dealing with multihomed customer BGP primary/backup links

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Wed Jul 13 16:23:16 EDT 2016

On the primary BGP session I would set Local-pref 150 and send MED 100
for example.
On the backup BGP session, set local-pref 100 and send MED 150.

The local-pref will set the preferred route in your network to use the
primary BGP session.   The MED should influence the customer to use the
primary link as their preferred route as well.  Savvy customers can
easily override the MED value, but it should work for the majority of
the customers.