[j-nsp] Dealing with multihomed customer BGP primary/backup links

Harald F. Karlsen elfkin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 10:14:17 EDT 2016

On 14.07.2016 15:14, Cydon Satyr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I understand, but if you are forcing customer to always use primary link
> if it is up, and customer advertises his routes over backup link ONLY,
> then he can go around uRPF restriction.
> With uRPF you are assuming he advertises all of his routes over primary
> link where router can prioritize them. Correct?

Sure, if the customer have several prefixes he can chose to split it up
and announce some of them over each link, but also lose redundancy.

IMO this should rather be solved with a clause in your customer
contract. I'm pretty sure this is not something you will se very often.

It will be interesting to hear which solution you end up with and how
it's working out. Good luck!

--
Harald