[j-nsp] juniper router reccomendations

Mike mike+jnsp at willitsonline.com
Thu Jul 28 12:09:26 EDT 2016

On 07/28/2016 12:50 AM, Adam Vitkovsky wrote:

> And on how effective is the NPU's lookup process, that is how
> effective is the actual lookup algorithm with CPU cycles and memory
> accesses, some NPUs can even offload complex lookup tasks to a
> specialized chip.

I appreciate your presence on other forums, but I'm pretty sure nobody
here needs a basic explanation of how modern router platforms work. If
you missed it, the question was specifically about juniper and bang for
the buck and routing bgp on 10g and filtering.

Some folks helpfully suggested using strategies to to decrease the
required size of the FIB, potentially meaning a lower box could do that
job. That has some merit, as the OP was right in that for this job I
don't really care about timbuktu more as whats 'close' to my two ip
transit providers. I know nothing of juniper and I'm just wondering if
MX80 is enough box for this or if I need to go higher up in the food
chain. The one iptransit provider at my 'A' location appears to
originate about 20 networks from various netblocks and this would be
easy to statically enter into config while accepting defaults from both,
achieving the same net result.

Mike-