[j-nsp] MX Lab config for virtual-switch

Matthew Crocker matthew at corp.crocker.com
Thu Jun 2 17:28:10 EDT 2016

Hello,

 I’m trying to lab out the following scenario.  Running into a couple snags, hoping someone can point me to the right documentation.

 I have 17 SRX300s connected to a WAN that I want to link together into the same virtual-switch/bridge/VPLS/??? in my MX240.   The SRXs will enter the MX240 over a couple different interfaces on a dozen or so different VLANs from different carriers.   I want to merge all of the traffic together so the SRXs and be on the same broadcast domain, L2 network so they can talk to each other (same /24 subnet) and handle MPLS.  QinQ from the SRXs isn’t needed.  The MX240 needs to pass the traffic but not participate in the MPLS or L3 traffic at all, just handle the bridging.

 I have a ping running that goes though ge-2/1/5.200 to ge-2/3/9.10.   Wireshark on the ge-2/3/9 side shows the ARP requests coming in with VLAN 200 tag still attached.  I need the MX240 to pop the 200 tag and add the 10 tag (or 20,21,22, etc depending on the unit).

 I tried input-vlan-map pop and output-vlan-map push on the interfaces but then I see the ARP requests with no VLAN tag.

Should I use a different instance-type  (vpls, l2vpn??)

I’m set this up in my lab as a virtual-switch
routing-instance {

SRXNET {
    description “A bunch of SRXes";
    instance-type virtual-switch;
    bridge-domains {
        SRXNET {
            domain-type bridge;
            interface ge-2/1/5.200;
            interface ge-2/3/9.10;
            interface ge-2/3/9.20;
            interface ge-2/3/9.21;
            interface ge-2/3/9.22;
            interface ge-2/3/9.23;
            interface ge-2/3/9.24;
            interface ge-2/3/9.25;
            interface ge-2/3/9.26;
        }
    }
}

ge-2/1/5 {
flexible-vlan-tagging;
encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;

unit 200 {
    encapsulation vlan-bridge;
    vlan-id 200;
    family bridge;
}
}

ge-2/3/9 {
flexible-vlan-tagging;
speed 100m;
encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
unit 10 {
    encapsulation vlan-bridge;
    vlan-id 10;
    family bridge;
}
unit 20 {
    encapsulation vlan-bridge;
    vlan-id 20;
    family bridge;
}
unit 21 {
    encapsulation vlan-bridge;
    vlan-id 21;
    family bridge;
}
unit 22 {
    encapsulation vlan-bridge;
    vlan-id 22;
    family bridge;
}
unit 23 {
    encapsulation vlan-bridge;
    vlan-id 23;
    family bridge;
}
unit 24 {
    encapsulation vlan-bridge;
    vlan-id 24;
    family bridge;
}
unit 25 {
    encapsulation vlan-bridge;
    vlan-id 25;
    family bridge;
}
unit 26 {
    encapsulation vlan-bridge;
    vlan-id 26;
    family bridge;
}

Thanks

—

Matthew Crocker
President - Crocker Communications, Inc.
Managing Partner - Crocker Telecommunications, LLC
E: matthew at corp.crocker.com
E: matthew at crocker.com