[j-nsp] Junos Fusion Provider Edge

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Jun 6 13:06:01 EDT 2016

On 6 June 2016 at 19:01, Allan Eising <eising at nordu.net> wrote:

Hey Eising,

> The ASR9000V-setup gave us the possibility of having inexpensive remote
> line-cards on small pops. These 9kV devices were cheaper than normal line cards
> and acted completely like normal router ports, ie. unique VLANs per port,
> direct termination in L3VPNs, queuing, and all that. Furthermore, the nV
> technology enabled us to create rings of satellites between two PEs, so
> customers could be served in an active/standby fashion by two routers.

I think only benefit to regular switch here is unique VLAN and even
that is not true, if switch knows VLAN rewrite. It'll also decouple
the devices, so you don't have to upgrade them at the same time. And
certainly will expose you to fewer issues.

It does not act like normal router port the more deeply you review
them. For example LPTS is way too aggressive for satellite, as all the
ports are just single port to LPTS. QoS also is not at all the same.

> This reduced the number of PE routes in our network drastically, and allowed us
> to quickly roll out new POPs, and easily add more ports when necessary.

I see this is same for Switch.

> Also, provisioning was simplified, as the number of platforms could be reduced;
> old legacy 7600-routers were replaced by satellite devices on already existing
> PE-routers.

This is benefit, but only if you're provisioning by CLI jockey.

--
  ++ytti