[j-nsp] MX104 capabilities question

Ross Halliday ross.halliday at wtccommunications.ca
Mon Jun 6 20:09:26 EDT 2016

We made the same move, from a network of SUP720-3CXLs up to MX104, over the last two years. Our busiest MX104 ingests 3 full feeds and around 100k prefixes via an IXP.

I'll echo Mark's sentiments: The MX104 has similar problems in that the CPU must update the FIB when the RIB changes. Small things like individual peers or normal churn aren't a big deal, but if we drop a major peer (say 300k prefixes destined to them), it's not pretty. It's not a slug like the 600 MHz MIPS SUP720 RP, but you can anticipate a couple minutes of reachability problems while the hardware shortcuts are updated to point out somewhere that accepts packets.

The MX104 is a great value box, but lacks some features which make it a "big boys" router. Aside from the RE, the control plane isn't as segregated as I thought, leading to interesting bugs like PR1031696 - which caused me to briefly lose all 10G optics in the entire chassis while installing an XFP; as well as some irritating behaviour from the ddos-protection mechanism. The larger chassis are *sort of* like running DFC cards in a 6500, were forwarding operations are pushed down. MX104 entirely relies on an integral system in the chassis and all you install are MICs, *sort of* like running a module with CFC and relying on the SUP.

I agree that you should spring for the MX240, which allows you the better RE, if you can afford/justify it. Unfortunately the larger MX platforms require the use of MPCs (not just MICs) so you wind up with a pretty awful number "just" to get a better RE, but there's a significant architectural difference, too. Depends on whether these are worth it to you or not. I imagine we'll eventually upgrade some of our key MX104s to the grown-up versions and reuse them elsewhere, but for now they do the job!

Cheers
Ross