[j-nsp] ACX50xx l2circuit counters

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Jun 21 06:09:25 EDT 2016

On 21 June 2016 at 09:41, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

Hey,

> To be honest, as I've said a few times before, I'm still nowhere being
> comfortable buying a router that uses merchant silicon.

Aren't devices merchant, own ASIC/NPU is an exception.

>From Cisco own stuff is
CSR-1, QFP (well, both are built on Tensilica)
Magic FPGA gen1+gen2
Most catalysts (Are all?)

Merchant stuff is:
ASR9k
ISRs
Lot of nexuses

> I know that while I'm not aware of the full list of what might not work,
> I know there is bound to be a lot of surprises.

Why would different logo on chip imply better applicability for your
application? I think you maybe extrapolating too much data from your
experience/anecdotes.
Regardless of the logo, you need to do your due diligence and know
exactly that everything you're going to need, work /NOW/, not 6 months
from now.

> Outside of that, I'm not touching a router that is not based on custom
> silicon.

That seems very flexible definition. How do we define merchant and
custom, how much IP can you buy, before it becomes merchant? Is EZchip
NP3c custom or merchant? Is Alcatel FP3 custom or merchant?
Would we know if Juniper had bought 20% 60% 90% of IP for Trio from
someone? I don't believe they did, but would we know? Would it matter?

--
  ++ytti