[j-nsp] MX104 capabilities question

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Jun 22 03:41:22 EDT 2016

On 6/21/16 7:12 PM, Josh Hoppes wrote:
> PAE can get the kernel to address more than 4GB of RAM, however a single
> process will still be limited.

this is straying off topic but.

yeah it doesn't use pae...

Arista kernels are 64 bit, user space is 32 bit derived from FC14.

Linux XXXXXXXXXX 3.4.43.Ar-3052562.4155M #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Mar 20
19:36:57 PDT 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

all the control-plane cpus are 64 bit with the TORs having AMD apus. and
the beefier boxes having and intel xeon based RE.

big

processor	: 7
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 42
model name	: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU  @ 2.60GHz
stepping	: 7

little (this is a 7048t which is old)

processor	: 1
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 16
model		: 6
model name	: AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N41H Dual-Core Processor
stepping	: 3
microcode	: 0x10000b6
cpu MHz		: 1499.919

that said 4GB (which is typical for the single asic tors up until very
recently) is kinda tight, depending on how you use them so the older
boxes aren't going to last forever.

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 8:02 PM, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Saku,
>>
>> Can you expand on what you mean by the following quote: "I think they are
>> fundamentally able to produce less buggy code than
>> JNPR or CSCO.

yeah if there's any fundamental about it, it's that it carry less
legacy, is more general purpose, and has less hardware, wierd corner
cases and unreasonable customer demands to support. It has it share of
bugs, missing features and hardware specific limitations and quirks.