[j-nsp] MX104 capabilities question

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Jun 22 08:47:38 EDT 2016

On 22 June 2016 at 04:02, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:

Hey,

> My understanding is right now they indeed do have a single downloadable file
> no matter which arista switch model you have. Is that not the case? Are you
> saying this file is 32 bit and not 64? That would suprise me since I beleive
> most of their recent switches have more than 8GB of RAM in them.

Yes, but like Juniper in its early days, it's artificial. It's lack of
legacy. It's not situation which is sustainable, and it's damaging to
use it as marketing gimmick, like Juniper did.

They are already not supporting certain gear, because memory
restrictions, alternative solution would have been to fork images, but
that would lose them the marketing gimmick of single image/release.
32b/64b is the same, they could do 64b but there are kit in the field
which can't do 64b, so they'd need two images.

In some point in future, they will have multiple images.

--
  ++ytti