[j-nsp] Core network design for an ISP

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 13:42:59 EDT 2016

Hey Saku,

> Saku Ytti
> Sent: Friday, March 25, 2016 3:21 PM
>
> On 25 March 2016 at 03:02, Luis Balbinot <luis at luisbalbinot.com> wrote:
>
> > A good practice on MX480s would be to keep upstream and downstream
> > ports at separate MPCs if possible. Depending on your config the
> > standard 256M RLDRAM from some cards might be an issue in the not so
> > near future. I'm not sure how much RLDRAM those NG cards have though.
>
> It should be safe for at least 1.5M IPv4 FIB + reasonable IPv6 FIB.
> It's pretty far future, unless you have large L3 MPLS VPN tables in addition.
>
> There are some other benefits running separate MPC for edge and core, but
> it might not make financial sense. Obviously you want core interfaces in
> separate MPCs, so having 3 MPC on smallest pop, and potentially just 1
> interface in each core MPC, may be just too high premium for it.
>
> I would not specifically plan on separate MPC for edge+core, unless I'd knew
> that I'm going to have large VPN tables and 1.5M won't be enough.
> --
My understanding is that MX does not support(yet) "selective VRF download" (don't know the juniper name for the feature)
Anyways Cisco stopped using it as it was causing more problems than it solved.

Also since you folks talk about converged networks that is mixing services and internet on one network -have you tested how the kit performs in corner cases (DDoS), would love to hear your experiences.
adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.