[j-nsp] Sending iBGP prefixes to another iBGP neighbour

Mike Williams mike.williams at comodo.com
Thu May 5 12:37:06 EDT 2016

Hey all,

I could very well either be doing this completely wrong, or attempting to do
the impossible, but...

We have BIRD on Linux using BGP to send prefixes to the MX104 over a direct
connection, I need to send those prefixes to an MX80 directly connected to the
104.

At the 104 end of the 104<->80 peering there is just an export policy, that
simply matches on "from protocol bgp" and the BGP community assigned the
prefixes I want, then accept and next-hop self.

In isolation, the policy works.

> test policy blah <prefix>/32

Policy blah: 1 prefix accepted, 0 prefix rejected

The MX104 never actually advertises any prefixes to the MX80 though.

> show route advertising-protocol bgp <mx80>
... zilch ...

Is there some inbuilt protection preventing iBGP prefixes from being sent to
another iBGP neighbour?
Or am I just doing it wrong?

advertise-peer-as and as-override have no impact.

Thanks

--
Mike Williams