[j-nsp] Q-in-q on ex4600

Allan Eising eising at nordu.net
Tue May 17 04:36:00 EDT 2016

Excerpts from Rodrigo 1telecom's message of 2016-05-16 18:54:49 -0300:

> > Does anyone have some exemple how to configure q-in-q on juniper ex4600 switchs?!
> > Is a different way to configure than 4550 and others...
> I tried to follow juniper site example but i'm not has sucess ....
> On 4550 and 3300 its so easy...

In my opinion, QinQ is inherently broken by design in the ELS-trains (EX4300,
EX4600 and QFX).

Here's a working config:

interfaces {
# ge-0/0/0 is the qinq acess port. It adds VLAN 100 to any frame, tagged or
# not.
  ge-0/0/0 {
    description "My customer port";
    flexible-vlan-tagging;
    native-vlan-id 100;
    encapsulation extended-vlan-bridge;
    unit 100 {
      vlan-id-list 1-4094;
      # Push the native VLAN ingress, pop out egress
      input-vlan-map push;
      output-vlan-map pop;
    }
  }
# ae0 is the uplink port. It has one unit configured with vlan 100.
  ae0 {
    description "My uplink port";
    unit 100 {
      vlan-id 100;
    }
  }
}
vlans {
  mytunnelvlan {
  # The two interfaces are bridged together here.
    interface ge-0/0/0.100;
    interface ae0.100;
  }
}

Now, this all works very well. The problem comes if you also have regular
switch ports, like a normal access port or trunk.

Notice how none of the above ports have family ethernet-switching configured?
Well, that's because you CAN'T have a family ethernet-switching unit configured
on the interface at the same time as you have another unit configured with
a vlan tag. And you can't configure a family ethernet-switching interface under
the vlans stanza if the other interface does not have the family.

Your only option if you want QinQ is to reconfigure ALL your ports according to
above syntax. QinQ or not...

Compare this to

vlans {
  mytunnelvlan {
    vlan-id 100;
    dot1q-tunneling;
  }
}

and you see why I find this broken by design.

--
Best Regards
Allan Eising