[j-nsp] BFD/IS-IS wait to re-establish adjacency after failure tweak knob?

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Wed May 18 18:53:40 EDT 2016

I am trying to figure out the best way to configure an MX router, on an
interface, to wait a specific time before it can re-establish an
IS-IS adjacency, after an adjacency has been lost.

Assume I am using BFD with reasonably short timers/multipliers to detect
when an IS-IS adjacency fails, without changing the default IS-IS timers.
I have a situation where a point-to-point link, with an L2 device in
between, is sometimes losing the adjacency, as desired, due to BFD
timers/mulipliers downing a session.

However, the IS-IS adjacency is coming up more quickly than desired. On
average, it is coming up 7-8 seconds later. Unfortunately, the L2 link is
still unstable, so the BFD causes the session to drop again fairly
quickly. This causes a lot of flapping that I do not need.

What is the appropriate JUNOS tweak knob to force IS-IS to wait a longer
time on the unstable link, before trying to establish the adjacency?

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary
Jones Hall (Room 18)
Williamsburg VA 23187