[j-nsp] RE-S-X6-64G-BB

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat May 21 16:59:55 EDT 2016

On 21/May/16 22:26, Saku Ytti wrote:

> All vendors are pimping this like it's something customers have been
> crying for ages. But who actually is planning to use their routers are
> general purpose compute?
> What advantages can it have? It will obviously not affect the
> reliability of the system positively, while virtualisation is quite
> proven and safe, there's still occasionally issues where one VM can
> impact another VM.

+1.

The first time I was concerned about doing something like this on my
routers was when Juniper started supporting 3rd party software as a
Junos add-on. No thanks.

Then Cisco introduced VM support on the NCS. But there, they said one
use-case is to implement better support for ISSU, where the current and
target OS are separate and can be switched over to more efficiently. No
thanks. Core routers are lazy anyway.

I won't be exploring VM technology on the new 64GB RE's. I'll enjoy them
for holding more routes and bigger, bloated Junos code.

Mark.