[j-nsp] RE-S-X6-64G-BB

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Thu May 26 03:27:07 EDT 2016

> Phil Rosenthal
> Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 5:53 PM
>

> > On May 25, 2016, at 12:31 PM, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Assuming we are not going to be using these new RE's to load any 3rd
> > party software on them, the RE-S-X6-64G-BB will just be a quicker
> > processor with more ram compared to an older RE right? Are there any
> other benefits?
> > Juniper is offering the RE-S-X6-64G-BB for the same price as the
> > RE-S-1800X4-32G. Not sure why one would not go with the new RE with
> > more ram?
>
> This new RE requires Junos 15.1R4 minimum.  If you have a reason to use 14.x
> or 13.x, then this RE will not work for you.
>

> > On May 25, 2016, at 10:34 AM, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
> >
> > I don't see those corner cases as particularly useful. I can't help to
> > wonder, is VM a white-label play in disguise? Are some customers not
> > running IOS-XR/JunOS at all, just not starting that VM, instead
> > running own VM with under NDA documents how to program the
> hardware?
> > Or is the 3rd party VM just marketing gimmick, because they get VM
> > 'for free', as they need it for their own infrastructure, to provide
> > better redundancy, upgradability and loose coupling to underlaying
> > control-plane HW. So as it is going to be there anyhow, no harm done
> > investing some marketing efforts to see if market figures out if there
> > is application for 3rd party VMs.
>
> I would bet money on this being the case. I would assume that a certain
> company that has a large search engine is of the general opinion "We like the
> hardware, but we do not want to use your software in any way. We can write
> our own software."

Yup, I think that's the main driver behind this initiative, they are trying to win back the white-box market share. Although it's the DC division that got the major hit so would have expected the 3rd party VMs making it into flagship switching products first.

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.