[j-nsp] BGP apparent I/O throttling on MX960 (JUNOS 14.1R6)

Jeff Haas jhaas at juniper.net
Wed Nov 2 13:25:40 EDT 2016

On Oct 24, 2016, at 9:41 AM, Adam Chappell <adam.chappell at gmail.com<mailto:adam.chappell at gmail.com>> wrote:

Anyone any experience with situations where "show bgp neighbor X.X.X.X" on
JUNOS CLI produces a small appendix to the usual output stating: "Received
and buffered octets: 20".  20 in this case seems to vary between
invocations, but usually under 100.  Example pseudo-sanitised output at the
end of the mail for anyone interested.

You've got the right assessment later in the message.  BGP has received a partial packet and is waiting for enough to move along with its work.

TCP hiccups for the extremely large variety of things that TCP does can cause this sort of lingering behavior.  When the box is rather busy, you'll get more since we may have gotten a fragment on the first read but are waiting until the next pass in a read to pick up more data.

-- Jeff