[j-nsp] ACX for subscriber aggregation

Ross Halliday ross.halliday at wtccommunications.ca
Fri Nov 4 17:54:02 EDT 2016

> ACX as a BNG, hmmmh...
>
> Why don't you go virtual instead, e.g., vMX, CSR1000v or XRv?
>
> Mark.

Unfortunately our towers aren't quite tall enough to reach the cloud and require some kind of intermediate device ;)

> Ross,
>
> You might want to try searching the archives for ACX. A few of us have posted the good, the bad, the ugly.
>
> TL;DR: look at the ASR920.
>
> Dan

Thanks Dan. I've been skimming the archives but I will look closer. I've seen the ASR920 before but they use too much power. I forgot to mention in my original posting to the list that we're designing solar-only sites going forward. Aren't they essentially the same hardware, anyway?

> I use ACX5048
>
> I have a few vrf's and a few irb's with dhcp relay for FTTH broadband
> mainly
>
> I use dhcp relay... works good, but watch out for those access-internal
> /32
> routes that are created for all dhcp client associations...the /32 host
> routes are also auto-redistributed into the MPLS L3VPN's VRF's !! ..unless
> you suppress them with, "forwarding-options dhcp-relay group ftth
> route-suppression access-internal"
>
> - Aaron

Fantastic, and good to hear from you again Aaron! Currently we're used to that sort of behaviour as our PPPoE LNS dumps /32 routes for each subscriber. But thanks for the heads up and mention of your usage!

Thanks gents
Ross