[j-nsp] QoS when there is no congestion

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Tue Nov 8 17:23:22 EST 2016

> tim tiriche
> Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 9:49 AM
>
> Hello,
>
> Do we need QoS if there is no congestion in the network for Voice/Video
> traffic?

No, you don't need QOS if there's no congestion, however have you considered
failure scenarios?
What if a link or a node in your network fails, or when you are under DDoS
attack, will you still have enough capacity on every link in your network?
Also you mentioned network congestion, but how about congestion within a
router?
For all these cases QOS is a good idea.

> Is there a case where Voice/Video traffic could experience any delay if
there
> were data packets to process before the voip traffic?

Yes, but the delay will be negligible on modern links (100Mbps and more).

> Would this be a concern on older hardware?

I don't think so, unless it has 56kbps interfaces.

adam

netconsultings.com
::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::