[j-nsp] RE-S-X6-64G & ISSU?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Nov 11 01:44:46 EST 2016

On 11/Nov/16 00:44, Clarke Morledge wrote:

> Right now, we do employ redundant routing engines (1300s and 1800s),
> but mostly with ISSU in mind. The failure rate for routing engines,
> even with the older hard disk models, has been rather low, in our
> experience. So, the primary benefit has been to provide support for
> "hitless" upgrades via ISSU.

We've had at least 3 RE's fail every year on different platforms, for
various reasons. That is too high for us.

I think the ability to VM's is great, especially because you can
cut-over upgrades much more quickly, and you can have different versions
of Junos doing different things on the same box, e.g., one VM doing
Business services on 2 line cards, another VM doing Subscriber
Management on 2 other line cards, e.t.c.

But I don't think it negates the need for dual RE's. RE's are still
fragile, and things happen.

Mark.