[j-nsp] RE-S-X6-64G & ISSU?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Nov 22 01:00:28 EST 2016

On 14/Nov/16 17:04, Aaron wrote:

> Have y'all ever thought through the benefits of having dual RE in one
> chassis compared to 2 chassis with 1 RE in each ?
>
> Like if I'm thinking about getting a MX480 with dual RE... what about
> instead, getting dual MX240 with 1 RE in each ?  ...and possibly Virtual
> Chassis'ing the dual MX240's as one virtual router
>
> Chassis diversity seems nice...then whatever would connect in that location,
> can be redundantly connected to both MX240's.

Firstly, unless you're tight for space, I'd not spend money on an MX240.
MX480 should be the bare minimum. Line cards are hungry for space.

We used to run single control planes in core switches, and have 2 core
switches per PoP. This was because those switches only handled Ethernet
traffic, no IP/MPLS.

I'd be hesitant to run any kind of routing device on a single control
plane unless it was designed as such. Then again, control planes are not
that much more expensive in current-generation core switches, so we are
now kitting them fully out from that perspective as well.

Mark.