[j-nsp] how to disconnect/kill tcp session from juniper router

Alexander Arseniev arseniev at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 24 06:07:45 EST 2016

Hello,

Someone is brute-forcing Your router password, and that is very common
nowadays. Good loopback filter would prevent this.

In addition:

1/ You can only do "request system logout" for sessions that passed
authentication+login+got TTY assigned. If You see "unsuccessful login"
it means this session did not get past authentication. Unautheticated
sessions got disconnected after 3 wrong password attempts, or 120 secs
if there is no data flowing (from memory)

2/ Best practice is not to allow telnet at all. Use SSH instead. To
disable telnet, make sure You do NOT have the "telnet" line under
"[system services]" stanza.

3/ Also, You should be using:

3a/ loopback filter allowing SSH from trusted source IPs only. If You
manage router via internet, and must keep remote access to it open to
ANYONE that's not a good practice at all.

3b/ SSH public key authentication instead of password

3c/ backoff timer to fire after 3-5 unsuccessful login tries

3d/ inactivity timer to close hanging SSH sessions - to make sure You
are not locked out of the router access because all TTYs are taken.

Thanks

Alex