[j-nsp] EX4200 show chassis environment discrepancy

Valentini, Lucio Lucio.Valentini at siag.it
Mon Nov 28 03:34:36 EST 2016

Hi folks,
Has any of you ever come across this issue?

If I look at the "show chassis environment output", everything seems to be OK, but when I look at the more common "show system alarms" , it tells me the temp is too high.

Should I worry or can we keep going ? and if so, for how long ? is that perhaps a bug fixed in later versions? I am using ver. 12.3R3.4.

user at switch> show chassis environment
Class Item                           Status     Measurement
Power FPC 0 Power Supply 0           OK
      FPC 0 Power Supply 1           OK
Temp  FPC 0 CPU                      OK         51 degrees C / 123 degrees F
      FPC 0 EX-PFE1                  OK         69 degrees C / 156 degrees F
      FPC 0 EX-PFE2                  OK         91 degrees C / 195 degrees F
      FPC 0 EX-PFE3                  OK         68 degrees C / 154 degrees F
      FPC 0 GEPHY Front Left         OK         44 degrees C / 111 degrees F
      FPC 0 GEPHY Front Middle       OK         48 degrees C / 118 degrees F
      FPC 0 GEPHY Front Right        OK         50 degrees C / 122 degrees F
      FPC 0 Uplink Conn              OK         50 degrees C / 122 degrees F
Fans  FPC 0 Fan 1                    OK         Spinning at full speed
      FPC 0 Fan 2                    OK         Spinning at full speed
      FPC 0 Fan 3                    OK         Spinning at full speed

user at switch > show system alarms
1 alarms currently active
Alarm time               Class  Description
2016-11-22 18:36:43 CET  Minor  FPC 0 EX-PFE2 Temp Too Warm

user at switch > show version
fpc0:
Hostname: xxx
Model: ex4200-48t
JUNOS Base OS boot [12.3R3.4]
JUNOS Base OS Software Suite [12.3R3.4]
JUNOS Kernel Software Suite [12.3R3.4]
JUNOS Crypto Software Suite [12.3R3.4]
JUNOS Online Documentation [12.3R3.4]
JUNOS Enterprise Software Suite [12.3R3.4]
JUNOS Packet Forwarding Engine Enterprise Software Suite [12.3R3.4]
JUNOS Routing Software Suite [12.3R3.4]
JUNOS Web Management [12.3R3.4]
JUNOS FIPS mode utilities [12.3R3.4]

user at switch > show chassis temperature-thresholds
                           Fan speed      Yellow alarm      Red alarm      Fire Shutdown
                          (degrees C)      (degrees C)     (degrees C)      (degrees C)
Item                     Normal  High   Normal  Bad fan   Normal  Bad fan     Normal
FPC 0 CPU                    60    70       80       70       95       85
FPC 0 EX-PFE1                60    70       80       70       95       85
FPC 0 EX-PFE2                60    70       80       70       95       85
FPC 0 EX-PFE3                60    70       80       70       95       85
FPC 0 GEPHY Front Left       60    70       80       70       95       85
FPC 0 GEPHY Front Middle     60    70       80       70       95       85
FPC 0 GEPHY Front Right      60    70       80       70       95       85
FPC 0 Uplink Conn            60    70       80       70       95       85

Is it going to shutdown when the temperature raises above 95 deg C ?

Thanks

Best regards

Ing. Lucio Valentini