[j-nsp] interpreting 10Gb interface "PCS statistics" values

David B Funk dbfunk at engineering.uiowa.edu
Wed Oct 19 19:40:24 EDT 2016

I've got a couple of 10Gig-eth interfaces (xe- on MX480) of which I'm trying to
interpret the "PCS statistics" values.

One of them is pretty steady at:

   PCS statistics                      Seconds
     Bit errors                             4
     Errored blocks                         4

The other one seems to vary with the values ranging from 10 to 70.
EG:

   PCS statistics                      Seconds
     Bit errors                            61
     Errored blocks                        69

The second interface will will trigger a number of error conditions at the
other end which terminates in a Cisco router with out showing any error
conditions at my end (EG BPDU Error: None, MAC-REWRITE Error: None, CRC/Align
errors 0, FIFO errors 0, etc..) During some of these times I'll see significant
packet loss and others see minimal problems.

According to Juniper docs the PCS statistics should mean:

  PCS statistics
   (10-Gigabit Ethernet interfaces) Displays Physical Coding Sublayer (PCS) fault
   conditions from the WAN PHY or the LAN PHY device.

     Bit errors—High bit error rate. Indicates the number of bit errors when the
       PCS receiver is operating in normal mode.
     Errored blocks—Loss of block lock. The number of errored blocks when PCS
       receiver is operating in normal mode.

But I don't know how to interpret a value of "16 seconds" with that definition.
Can anybody shed some light on what those numbers mean.

Thanks.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>