[j-nsp] DCU matching in firewall filter

Paul S. contact at winterei.se
Tue Sep 13 07:35:26 EDT 2016

Hi j-nsp,

I'm trying to use DCU to filter access to specific prefixes selectively
on Juniper MX. i.e: Customer on interface ge-0/0/0 cannot send traffic
to prefixes tagged by some BGP community, or perhaps it'll be sent to a
policer.

So we first match routes into a community, then use a routing-options ->
forwarding-table -> export to assign a destination class to the prefixes
that we want, and finally setup a simple firewall filter to deal with it
all.

Issue is, the filter only works when it's applied to the
'forwarding-options' level of hierarchy, not the interface itself. i.e:
If I apply it to 'unit 0 family inet filter input filter-dcu-local,'
...it does absolutely nothing.

Applying it globally isn't the most desirable solution in my opinion
(but it does work). It would appear ras had actually ran into this
before once -
https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/juniper-nsp/2008-October/011812.html

So, is there any other way to apply this only on the concerned customer
interfaces, or are we going to have to maintain a large
forwarding-options filter with entries like 'term 1 from
destination-class dcu-local; interface x; then ...' and 'term 2 from
destination-class dcu-local; interface y' ...'

Inputs welcome, thank you!

Filter config:

firewall filter filter-dcu-local {
     term block-dcul-access {
         from {
             destination-class dcu-local;
         }
         then {
             count dcu-local-drops;
             discard;
         }
     }
     term accept-the-rest {
         then accept;
     }
}

Policy config:

policy-options policy-statement community-to-class

term dcu-local {
     to community dcu-local;
     then {
         destination-class dcu-local;