[j-nsp] What version of Junos is best for bgp.

Sachin Rai sachinrai1983 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 15 23:34:37 EDT 2016

64-bit junos version will give you support for larger Routing Engine memory sizes. so if you think the routing table will consume more memory you can upgrade. I have MX5 32-bit junos with 2 BGP sessions with full routes.

You can check the 64-bit supported routing engine in following link:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/general/routing-engine-m-mx-t-series-support-by-chassis.html

You can refer the following link for upgrading junos to 64-bit:

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos15.1/topics/task/configuration/64-bit-junos-upgrading.html

You may also check the routing engine specifications:

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/routing-engine-m-mx-t-series-specifications-by-model.html

BEST JUNOS FOR BGP: Technically speaking, it all depends on what you need. I will not recommend to go with the latest junos as it might contains some unknown bugs which are yet to be discovered. Upgrade to 1 or 2 version lower to the latest version (probably EEOL release, as these release have longer jtac support validity) go through for release notes and protocols you want to configure on your router, after all it is you who will be managing it.

If you do not want to do any of the above, go with jtac recommended junos.