[j-nsp] Service Provider Shaping vs Policing

Shamen Snyder shamen.snyder at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 11:55:37 EDT 2017

I'm curious as to what other Juniper service providers are doing for
their internet customers. I assume most probably shape or police at the
customer CPE or as close as they can to it.

We are currently in a position where we terminate internet customers in
the POP that we purchase bulk transit in several collocations around the
United States. Then carry customer internet traffic back to the IP
termination via our MPLS network.

Shaping is broken when configured on a LAG (see KB22921). Which
depending on how many interfaces you have in a LAG a customer would need
that many flows to see all of their bandwidth. So I assume most
providers are using policing instead.

What type of policers are you guys using? Are you soft policing and
letting CoS PLP/drop profiles in the core handle the congestion or doing
hard policing?