[j-nsp] improving global unicast convergence (with or without BGP-PIC)

Michael Hare michael.hare at wisc.edu
Wed Apr 26 15:11:15 EDT 2017

Admittedly this late to arrive follow up may not be J specific.

Our transit extensions aren't really traditional metro ethernet circuits, topology looks more like following

The "shared l2" device connects several .edu institutions into major aggregation facilities.  link 'a---b'  is optically protected.  .   'b' to 'c' is actually a vlan-ccc so 'b' and 'c' are already tied but the point is moot.  We run BFD with 'd'.

If I understand correctly a theoretical eOAM session between 'a' and 'd' could cause both 'a' and 'd' IFLs to drop on end to end connectivity fault but eOAM assumes you manage both eOAM endpoints and is not meant for a cross domain situation.  Is it the correct conclusion that eOAM between 'a' and 'd' is unlikely to be supported by any reasonable upstream?  In this case 'd' is a tier1.

using this URL as a starting point for exploring eOAM
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos12.3/topics/example/layer-2-802-1ag-ethernet-oam-cfm-example-over-bridge-connections-mx-solutions.html

-Michael