[j-nsp] bgp peer flapping

Alexandre Snarskii snar at snar.spb.ru
Thu Apr 27 06:59:49 EDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 08:00:33AM +0100, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:
> > Aaron Gould [mailto:aaron1 at gvtc.com]
> > Wednesday, April 26, 2017 7:08 PM
> >
> > How often do we rename bgp group names ?  I don't ever.  Wondering if this
> > is something that people do often.
> >
> Do you never change bgp egress policies too?
>  - if you do it at the peer level it has the same effect.

Looks like it is not true since JunOS 15.1 or so.

> Basically Junos requires you to have each peer in its own group
> to be on safe side.

Having each peer in its own group is one of the best ways to shoot
yourself in the foot: instead of all peers with same egress policies
share RIB-Out, in this model each one will have its own RIB so memory
use will go through the roof.. (well, at least in SP scenario, where
most peers need to keep full-view in RIB).